What Is Data Security Awareness? How Do You Demonstrate Security Awareness?
Previously, all cybersecurity issues were tended to by the IT department. Today, cybersecurity is everyone’s responsibility, and as individual users, we could be a target for the next big cyberattack. This is precisely why security awareness has become one of the most important investments that an organization can make. It only takes one user to click on a phishing email to allow a cybercriminal to breach your organization’s network and steal your data.
Security awareness is a formal process of training and educating an organization about the importance and protection of information security. Employees need to be made aware that there are people who may accidentally or deliberately want to steal, damage, or misuse the data stored in your organization’s computer systems or network.
When employees are educated on their roles and responsibilities in protecting their organization’s information assets, they can help prevent potential cyberattacks against their organization.
Why Do You Need Security Awareness Training?
End users are often the weakest link in the information security chain, and cybercriminals know this better than anyone else. For cybercriminals, your organization’s size, the strength of your organization, or revenue size does not matter. If they target your data, they will stop at nothing until they have their hands on it, especially if they can exploit your weakest link through a simple social engineered attack like phishing.
Hence, security awareness training is one of the best ways to improve staff awareness surrounding information security and thereby minimize the risk of cyberattacks.
Why Should Organizations Prioritize Security Awareness?
- To prevent cyberattacks, such as phishing attacks, tailgating, ransomware attacks, and more. Studies have shown that more than 90% of data breaches are attributes to social engineering attacks. Investing in security awareness training can protect your assets and also prevent financial and reputational damage.
- To meet regulatory compliance as mandated by specific laws.
- To strengthen technological defenses as they are not entirely automated and require manual inputs from people.
- To gain new customers’ confidence as many proposals, tenders or contracts demand alignment with security standards.
- To reassure old and new customers that your organization is well-informed and trained in cybersecurity issues.
- To protect your organization’s assets and reduce downtime from data breaches.
Does Your Organization Need Security Awareness Training?
Organizations often look to security awareness for the following reasons:
- They understand the importance of changing the attitude and behavior of their employees toward cybersecurity.
- They are required by law to implement security awareness training programs and to demonstrate compliance with certain information security frameworks, such as PCI DSS, GDPR, HIPAA Privacy Rule, and more.
- They are looking to ensure that their employees are well-informed about their IT security policies, procedures, and best practices.
- They aim to mold their employees into their first line of defense and ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of their information assets.
How Effective Is Security Awareness Training From EGS?
EGS comprises advisory and technical teams with years of corporate, field, and consulting experience in information security. Our accomplished team allows EGS to demonstrate a vast knowledge of industry standards, benchmarks, and best practices that assure the best solution to our clients. Each consultant assigned to the client is a noted and published expert in his or her respective fields. Information security and operational risk consulting and advisory are the sole focus of our practice, not a general consulting company’s sideline interest.
EGS is dedicated to protecting and enhancing enterprise value in an increasingly complex, legal, regulatory, and economic environment – with consulting professionals helping, anticipate, illuminate, and overcome complex business challenges. EGS has the expert reach and resources located globally to provide our clients with broader expertise in this area.
EC-Council Global Services provides standard and customized cybersecurity awareness training and customized multi-language e-Learning content to suit every organization. We provide phishing, smishing, and vishing simulations in a single revolutionary platform integrated with e-Learning and gamification modules on a learning management system (LMS) to help prepare your business against cyber threats.
- We are part of the world’s leading cybersecurity certification body, EC-Council.
- We can help organizations reduce their exposure to cyber threats by fortifying their very own human firewall.
- We are committed to helping organizations gain valuable insights into their employees’ susceptibility to real-life phishing attacks.
- We can help organizations manage and deliver their security awareness program by integrating both testing and security awareness training.
- We can help organizations get an accurate view of the effectiveness of their security awareness training program.
- We offer customizable security awareness training designed to promote active learning and optimal retention.
- We offer phishing simulations tools and services.